The Pastor’s Porch, December 3, 2020

 

The Pastor’s Porch                                           December 3, 2020

Yesterday I talked a bit about being a lady and waiting. The status that most female pastors experience as they wait for particularly their first call. I want to share a little more about my journey today. Again it has to do with expectations.So in my last year of seminary, I was required to do an internship at a hospital. It is called CPE, which stands for Clinical Pastoral Education. Basically it is about being a chaplain for a semester and discovering ones pastoral identity. Well, I didn’t want to do it. I could do hospital visitation just fine after all. So the day I had to report to the hospital I was in a “huff.” I told a colleague at the church who served as a fire chaplain that I would NEVER be a chaplain! Remember yesterday that I said that one of my two calls was as a staff chaplain? God is so funny! He turned my resistance into one of the most significant calls that I have experienced! What did I learn? NEVER say “never” to God!! So what have you thought that you would never do for God? Be careful. His plans always lead to humbling learning opportunities for us. Just say “yes.” It is so much simpler!

Oh patient Savior, help me to get on board with your plans for my life. Help me have courage to do things to which I have said “Never!” Amen.

Matthew 26:31-35

Then Jesus told them, “This very night you will all fall away on account of me, for it is written:

“‘I will strike the shepherd,
    and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’

32 But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee.”

33 Peter replied, “Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will.”

34 “Truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “this very night, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times.”

35 But Peter declared, “Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you.” And all the other disciples said the same.


Comments