The Pastor’s Porch, November 9, 2020

 

The Pastor’s Porch                                           November 9, 2020

I woke up to a tropical storm warning this morning. For the next three days, the wind and the rain will be impressive. I am grateful that it is not a hurricane. Yesterday I spent a little while on a lovely beach. The water was calm, broken only by the people in it and the pelicans diving for food. However, in the next few hours, it will cease to be calm. I can’t help but think about times in scripture that describe Jesus walking on the water. I also remember when He rebuked the wind during a storm on the water and it immediately grew calm. Sometimes I think we really underestimate just how powerful Christ is. I know that I can, like Peter, take my eyes off Jesus during the storm, and find myself sinking. Isn’t it incredible that when we think about taking His hand, we are taking the hand of the One who is in charge of the storm? And when we lay our troubles at His feet, do we remember that those feet walked on top of the storm, on top of the water? Our challenge is to keep our focus on Him, no matter what is going on around us. I have a feeling that I’m going to think a lot about that as the storm arrives.

Lord Jesus, it is amazing to realize that You are incredibly powerful. Help me to remember when I’m facing a storm, that You will help me not only get through it, but walk on top of it. Amen.

Matthew 14:22-33

Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd. After he had dismissed them, he went up on the mountain to pray. Later that night, he was there alone, and the boat was already a considerable distance from the land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it. Shortly before dawn, Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified “It’s a ghost!”they said, and cried out in fear. But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.“ “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter said, “tell me to come to you on the water.” “Come,” he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!” Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly, you are the son of God.”




Comments