The Pastor’s Porch, November 18, 2020

 

The Pastor’s Porch                                              November 18, 2020

Yesterday I visited one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. The sand was bright white and felt like cornstarch in my hand. Unlike cornstarch starch, however, it was easy to mold into different shapes. I found myself playing with my hand in the sand and even molded a heart. Ever since I’ve read Psalm 139, I have love the sand on beaches. There is a verse the says that God‘s thoughts about me number the grains of sand. Now if you look the song up, the words “about me” are not included in the main text. However there is always a footnote that does include it, and the Hebrew supports it. Just imagine what it means that God‘s thoughts about you outnumber the grains of sand. What does God think about you? Well, God is love, and so it stands to reason that those are loving thoughts. Bask in that, my friend, just as if you were joining me on that lovely beach, running your hands through the sand.

Dearest Jesus, I cannot comprehend that You think about me at all, much less so much that Your thoughts outnumber the grains of sand on a beach. Thank You that You love me that much. Amen.

Psalm 139:14-18

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordainedfor me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.
17 How precious to me are your thoughts about me, God!
    How vast is the sum of them!
Were I to count them,
    they would outnumber the grains of sand—
    when I awake, I am still with you.

Comments