The Pastor’s Porch, November 16, 2020

 

The Pastor’s Porch                                           November 16, 2020

Yesterday I went swimming in the Gulf of Mexico. To my recollection I’ve never done that before. Yes I’ve walked along its beaches, but I’ve never actually gone swimming. It was delightful. All of the relaxation of being amongst the swells without any of the fear of being walloped by a big wave. It made me think that that is the way life is when there are no big crises. Always a swell or two, but nothing knocking you down. It was incredibly renewing. One thing that happened made me laugh once again at the sense of humor God has. As I was walking in the water, suddenly about 4 feet ahead of me, a good-sized fish leapt out of the water and then came back down. I couldn’t help but laugh, because I remembered several years ago visiting the Gulf and seeing a whole bunch of fish doing this. Being me, I had to research to find out why they jump. There are several ideas of why, but most people believe that this particular fish, the mullet, leaps to get a gulp of air. I learned that fish have some thing called a swim bladder, and it needs to stay inflated for them to float and swim well. The mullet leaps to fill the bladder. Isn’t God creative? Maybe there’s a lesson in it for us. I don’t think we always know when we are depleted. To navigate the waters of our life well, we need to be refilled by God’s Spirit. I would think it easier to do this on a regular basis, rather than needing take the energy to leap towards Him to gulp that Spirit. Sometimes though, I find that I really do need a huge intake of the Holy Spirit, so yes, like David, I will leap and gasp in as much as possible! Do what it takes today, friend, to breathe in the Spirit, even if it means taking time just to breathe. 

Holy Spirit, You are always there waiting for us to breathe You in. Compel us today to leap towards You, gulping in as much if You as we can. In Jesus’ name I pray, amen.

Romans 15:13

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.


Comments