The Pastor’s Porch, November 13, 2020

 

The Pastor’s Porch                                           November 13, 2020

Do you suffer from triskaidekaphobia? You might answer, “Of course not! I don’t know what it is, but I am sure that I don’t have it!” Let me ask you this. Did you see today’s date? It’s Friday the 13th! Yikes! And it’s still 2020. If you get an uneasy feeling on Friday the 13th, you have the beginnings of the disorder above. It is the fear of the number 13. I woke up wondering why it is such a significant part of our culture, so I did some research. Here’s what I found on National Geographic’s website: “The trepidation surrounding Friday the 13th is rooted in religious beliefs surrounding the 13th guest at the last supper – Judas, the apostle said to have betrayed Jesus-and the crucifixion of Jesus on a Friday, which was known as hangman’s day.” Who knew?? It is ironic to me that Jesus is closely associated then to such discomfort and fear. The one who says over and over, “Do not fear. Do not be afraid!” I confess that I have not wanted to stay on the 13th floor in hotels. I flinch when it is Friday the 13th. But you know what? Learning that it is so closely associated with Jesus is going to change my attitude. When I see 13, I will remember that the superstition is grounded in His sacrifice for me – his crucifixion. I challenge you to do the same.

Lord Jesus, suddenly the number 13 is special to me. Remind me always to be grateful for Your sacrifice on the cross. Thank you. Amen.

John 14:27

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.


Comments