The Pastor’s Porch, November 11, 2020

 

The Pastor’s Porch                                           November 11, 2020

This morning’s weather gives me pause. Right now it is just raining really hard. However, this is what comes up on my weather app: 

I have never before seen so many warnings at the same time. You know how I talked about Jesus walking on the waves and calming the storm? Well, this storm is worthy of Him! Can I reflect further on the passage that includes Peter’s getting out of the boat? Peter’s request to walk to Jesus came out of doubt. Remember the disciples couldn’t take in that Jesus was there on the water. Peter says, “If it is you, Lord, tell me to come to you on the water.” Jesus replies, “Come.” Did you ever realize that Peter’s request was fulfilled without his stepping onto the water? He asked Jesus to tell him to come, and so Jesus did. How often do we ask for confirmation of what we are asked to do for Jesus, and then when it comes, we leave it at that, no action follows? I know that when I interviewed for my new church here, I told God that He would need to find me a place to live, and within a day, He did. There were so many reasons to “stay in the boat,” and not move. I know though, that if I hadn’t said “yes,” I would have missed out on blessings ahead. What have you been avoiding doing for Jesus? Taking a meal to someone in need? Stepping up to help out at church? Making that tough phone call? You see, it doesn’t have to be a huge “yes,” unless Jesus is asking you for something life changing. Pray about it today, okay?

Dearest Jesus, it is so easy to avoid risk. Help me today to do something for You that’s maybe a little uncomfortable. Give me courage please. Amen.

Luke 6:46-49

Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say? As for everyone who comes to me and hears  my words and puts them into practice, I will show you what they are like. They are like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck the house but could not shake it, because it was well-built. But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed, and its destruction was complete.


Comments