The Pastor’s Porch October 9,2020


 The Pastor’s Porch                                              October 9, 2020

You know how I dreaded having that professional photo taken? Well yesterday, I got to see the finished product. It turned out pretty well actually. What was fun, though, was that I posted it on Facebook for all to see, and I have been intrigued by the comments the photo has received. Some wrote that they could see the mischievous gleam in my eye. Some wrote it is a photo that shows that “you are full of joy and happiness.“ And there were other comments too. I find it curious that from a split second in time, people look at that smiling image and make some pretty interesting comments. Am I mischievous? Of course I am. Am I joyful and happy? Most of the time. But I am aware that behind that smiling image is a lot of complicated stuff. So what do people think when they see a picture of you, or even you in person? I always hope that for me, people get a glimpse of the love of Christ. Once a nurse in the hospital where I was a chaplain, said to me, “Mary, they say that the eyes are the window to the soul. When I look into your eyes, all I see is God’s love.” Highest compliment I think I’ve ever received. And that is my challenge, my friends. That our eyes that peek out over our masks, are the window to love for those whom you encounter. Have a great weekend!

Lord Jesus, please fill me was so much of Your love that it spills out through my eyes. Let those that I encounter see You, not me. I am so imperfect, which makes me perfect to be used to show Your love. It’s in Your  name I pray, amen.

John 13:34-35

“A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”


Comments