The Pastor’s Porch October 6, 2020

 The Pastor’s Porch                                               October 6, 2020

If I asked you to describe what a church is in one word, what would you say? Jesus said that the church is a rock. What noun would you choose? Whatever you choose says a lot about your expectations of the church and your understanding of its purpose. I was asked that question last week and my immediate answer was “bride.” You see in the book of Revelation we read that the church is the bride of Christ. Knowing that that is my description, think for a moment what that means as far as my understanding of the church and of my own responsibility. When I think about a bride I think of something beautiful. I think of the promise and expectation and joy that surrounds her. What a beautiful picture of the church! What is your noun? If it is family a whole new picture is drawn.If it is refuge, yet another one is painted. Maybe I will say more about this tomorrow. Spend some time today figuring out your own picture of the church and then what that means for you. We will “talk” tomorrow. Have a wonderful day.

Lord Jesus, help us to picture Your church in a way that compels us to live out Your call. Thank You for the gift of her. It’s in Your name I pray, amen. 

Revelation 19:6-9

Then I heard what sounded like a great multitude, like the roar of rushing waters and like loud peals of thunder, shouting “ Hallelujah! For our Lord God Almighty reigns. Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! For the wedding of the lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready. Fine linen, bright and clean, was given her to wear.” (Fine linen stands for the righteous acts of God‘s holy people.) Then the angel said to me, “Write this: blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the lamb!” And he added, “These are the true words of God.”


Comments