The Pastor’s Porch, October 23, 2020

 

The Pastor’s Porch                                                October 23, 2020

A colleague of mine shared an incredible illustration of change, and I want to pass it onto you. He told the story of his daughters, who are quite young, who came up to him and said, “Daddy, come downstairs and play with us! We found a whole bunch of black frisbees and it’s fun.” Of course you can guess what they found. They had discovered his album collection, but had never seen a record before. He shared with me then that it occurred to him that music had been delivered in lots of ways over the decades. First, there was simply hearing it live, which continues of course. But then he pointed out that music was shared on very thick records, then through 33 inch albums, then through 45s and jukeboxes, morphing into being heard on 8 tracks, cassettes, CDs, and now internet streaming. So what is the key take away from this example? Well ask yourself, what the goal was through all the decades. It was all about sharing the music! If I take his story and apply it to ministry, this is what I realize. Our goal is to share the gospel. How we do it must change from time to time because of circumstances and new challenges. The gospel message never changes, but the method needs to at times. Something to think about, don’t you agree?

Lord, Jesus, please help me to discover the best methods to share Your good news. Help me not to be stuck in old ways, but to be open to Your creative Spirit. It’s in Your name I pray, amen.

1 Corinthians 9:19-23

Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law.To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings

Comments