The Pastor’s Porch, November 12, 2020

 

The Pastor’s Porch                                            November 12, 2020

Can you handle one more reflection upon the Peter passage?  Sometimes I get really focused on a passage, and God keeps giving me new insights about it. Let’s review. Jesus came to the boat that was being tossed by the waves in the storm, called out to the disciples who were terrified, reassured them that it really was Him, and then Peter replied that if it truly was Jesus, then he wanted Jesus to ask him to come to him on the water. And Jesus did just that. It’s the next part I want to talk about today. Peter was doing just fine walking on the water until he took his eyes off Jesus and became focused on the storm. And we know what happens, correct? He begins to sink. It’s the one word right there in the passage that has caught my attention. It’s the word “beginning.” How does one begin to sink? I don’t know about you, but every time I’ve gotten in the water I slice right through it. Take a moment and picture what actually happened to Peter. Perhaps he was sinking in slow motion. Maybe Jesus caught him when he was up to his waist in the water. It is a far more extraordinary picture than we usually get from this story. To me, it is perfect. When we take our eyes off of Jesus, usually we don’t sink into sin all at once. Little things add up, and before we know it, sin is drowning us. We may not even notice at first that we are sinking. Isn’t it amazing that the promise is that when we turn our eyes back to Jesus, He is always ready to draw us up out of the muck? Maybe we should take some time today to figure out what is driving us down and away from Christ, and to place those things at His feet. At least, that’s what I’m going to do.

Jesus, forgive me for the things that are pulling me down and causing me to sink. Help me today to have my eyes opened to those things so that I can repent and be raised up by You. Thank You for Your love. Amen.

Psalm 40:2-3

He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
    out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
    and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth,
    a hymn of praise to our God.

https://youtu.be/JxwcGyaOr6Y

Comments