The Pastor’s Porch, October 22, 2020

 

The Pastor’s Porch                                                October 22, 2020

Sometimes God asks an awful lot, don’t you think? I have a little dog named Butler. He has been with me for seven years. Whenever he sees me, he wriggles all over, and his tail goes crazy. He gets along with everybody and everything, even the cats. He’s just a really good dog. However, the place where I am moving in Florida does not allow for me to take him with me. That’s what I mean about God asking a lot. I know that He is calling me to go there. I know that He understands the sacrifice that I will have to make. Butler will be placed in a fantastic home. There are two different people from my congregation here who are interested in taking him. I will not have anything to worry about. It’s just that I love him, and thinking about parting with him brings tears every time. This isn’t new. When I left Washington to take this call in  Massachusetts, I left behind my entire family and all of my friends. It was extremely painful. But here’s the thing – following my call needs to be my top priority. God rewards the faithfulness with much joy. If you are feeling that God is asking you to sacrifice something, then just do it. Jesus says that we must leave everything, deny ourselves, and follow Him. After all, He sacrificed His life for us. May you be blessed today my friend.

Lord Jesus, I understand that being Your disciple means putting You absolutely first. Sometimes however, that brings pain. Strengthen me please, oh Lord, to be able to do what it takes to honor You above all. In Jesus’ name, amen.

Luke 14:25-27, 33

 Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said: “If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple. And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple. In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples.

Comments