The Pastor’s Porch, October 21, 2020

 

The Pastor’s Porch                                                October 21, 2020

This date, October 21, is one of the most special in my life. First of all, today is my mothers birthday. It’s always been fun because my birthday is September 21, and I’ve always liked that it’s the same date, just a different month. However, when I was only 26, my mom passed away. October 21 then became a day of pain. Fast forward four years from then. On October 21, 1986, God gave me an incredible gift. My son Allan, was born that day. Not only is he a gift, but in His tender way, God turned a day of pain back into a day of joy. Since then, whenever I get to this date, I remember a mom who was amazing in every way, and I celebrate my son. Most of all, I praise God. He promises that mourning will turn to joy, and I know of no better illustration of that than October 21 for me. Dear friend, if you are in a time of sadness or mourning, remember God‘s promise. No matter how long it takes, He will bring joy.

Loving Savior, thank You for the tender way that You love me. Lord I pray for those who are suffering today, and I ask that you bring them joy. Amen.

Jeremiah 31:12-14

They will come and shout for joy on the heights of Zion;
    they will rejoice in the bounty of the Lord
the grain, the new wine and the olive oil,
    the young of the flocks and herds.
They will be like a well-watered garden,
    and they will sorrow no more.
13 Then young women will dance and be glad,
    young men and old as well.
I will turn their mourning into gladness;
    I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.
14 I will satisfy the priests with abundance,
    and my people will be filled with my bounty,”
declares the Lord.

Comments