The Pastor’s Porch, October 16, 2020

 

The Pastor’s Porch                                                 October 16, 2020

I awoke this morning, mind you really early this morning, to the sound of a car motor being revved up a few houses up the street. The revving went on for a few minutes, then there was the sound of the car being raced on the streets of the neighborhood. Of course my first thoughts were ones of annoyance. This is the same fellow who has a different car with the loudest muffler I’ve ever heard, and he enjoys spreading that sound throughout the neighborhood often. As I sit here wondering what in the world he was thinking this morning to do what he did, I figured I had a couple of ways of looking at it. I could presume that he is simply inconsiderate and enjoys showing off. However I began to think of it a little differently. Perhaps he is desperate to be noticed. Who knows his story? I guess he has quite the reputation on the street. I have spent some time praying for him this morning. No matter his motivation, it is sad that he needs attention. I have found often that when a person lashes out, or treats me badly, or acts like a jerk, that deep inside of that person is pain. It has helped me to be compassionate, even when I just want to be angry. So I am praying for him today. Perhaps there’s someone in your own life that you can pray for. They just might be in pain too.

Dear Lord, help me to see people with Your eyes and to love them with Your heart even when I don’t feel like loving them at all. Bring peace to those who so desperately need it, including me. Amen.

Romans 12:14-18

Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly; do not claim to be wiser than you are. Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all. If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.


Comments