The Pastor’s Porch, September 29, 2020

 

The Pastor’s Porch                                           September 29, 2020

This morning I have to go and get a professional portrait photo taken. Have I ever told you that I hate getting my picture taken? Well I do. I am never satisfied with my appearance, and I always end up feeling unattractive. Now don’t put a bunch of comments telling me that I am! That’s not the point of this post today. I am wondering why seeing a picture of myself almost always evokes such negative thoughts. I know that some of it comes from very old tapes playing of comments people have made over the years. It is sad that voices from decades ago can still carry power into my thinking. I know that what I need to do is to review how God sees me. He says that we are fearfully and wonderfully made. I definitely get the fearfully part! When I read Psalm 139, I am reminded that I look exactly the way that He intended me to look, And as they used to say, “God don’t make no junk.” I’ll bet that if I spent the portrait session remembering that, it would end up being, no will end up being, the best portrait ever. You too are fearfully and wonderfully made, dear friend. Be brave and take a look in the mirror. We are all God’s masterpieces!

Dear Lord, help me to see myself through Your eyes. Help me to rejoice in all my flaws rather than be brought down by them. You have created me perfectly for Your purpose. Thank You for that. In Jesus’ name, amen.

Psalm 139:13-14

13 For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me togetherin my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.

Comments