The Pastor’s Porch, September 25, 2020

 

The Pastor’s Porch                                            September 25, 2020

Happy Friday! Did you spend time yesterday reading Jonah? I hope that you did, because maybe you discovered a few surprises. First of all, like I said yesterday, he didn’t repent inside the fish. He changed his mind when the waves were overwhelming him. He cried out to God, and the fish was his salvation. God brings salvation to us in circumstances in amazingly creative ways. Second thing to notice is that Jonah realized that his disobedience was causing harm to his shipmates and willingly was thrown into the sea to save them. And then finally near the end we learned that he really can be grumpy! Yet God still loves him and took care of him, which I find encouraging. So why does this story touch me right now? Once again in such an unexpected way, I find that my life is yet again that are turned upside down. I have been called to a new church in Florida and will be moving there in early November. They sought me out, not the other way around. Everything about the call has God‘s fingerprints all over it, and I must go. Like I said, I know the story of Jonah. As hard as it is to leave people I love deeply, I know that God’s purpose is good for them, for my new church, and for me. Prayers are really appreciated as this transition happens. Am I up for a new adventure? Always!!

Lord, help me always to trust You when you ask me to do something whether it is small or big. Help me to continue to trust that You hold everything in Your  hands, and that’s exactly where I need them to be. Amen.

Proverbs 3:5-6

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.


Comments