The Pastor's Porch, September 18, 2020

The Pastor's Porch
September 18, 2020
 
Today is a very special day for me.  It is the 15th anniversary of my ordination!  How the years have flown by.  I think of my mother-in-law's prophecy that day that mine would not be a normal call.  She definitely heard God correctly!  I also remember sharing with my best friend that I wasn't sure that I would show up that day.  I had spent quite a while in my church's sanctuary literally shaking and begging God not to make me go through with it the day before.  In typical form, she told me that she would "come after me" if I didn't show up.  The day was sunny and beautiful.  I remember it like it was yesterday.  It was the only time in my life that my arms and shoulders experienced pain from being hugged so much!  It was a Sunday, and when people came to our first service, they hugged me.  When they left, they hugged me again.  Then the afternoon ordination came.  Hugs from everyone who came (well over 100 people).  And then they hugged me AGAIN after it was over.  Would you believe it?  Another round of hugs after the first reception, and then yet another after the second, more private one.  I calculate that I received 1000 hugs that day.  Wow... what an amazing memory!  As I look back now, I realize that I needed that bank of hugs to carry me through many, many challenges, along with the other ones I received along the way.  I served as a staff chaplain, then an on-call chaplain, then as an Executive Pastor, then as a Lead Pastor all while I lived in Sumner, WA.  I then was called to pastor my current church in Massachusetts, which also led to being pastor of the neighboring Lutheran church.  Didn't anyone tell God that women aren't supposed to have such amazing opportunities?  Do you know the one reason that I think that God has empowered my ministry so much?  Trust me, it is something that anyone can do.  I say "yes."  No matter what, no matter how illogical, no matter the sacrifice.  I am humbled by all that the Lord has done through me in the last 15 years.  Who knows what I will be saying when it is 25! May you too be blessed through your obedience and faithfulness!
 
Lord Jesus, what can I say?  I continue to try to say "yes" to You no matter what You ask.  Please continue to give me discernment, courage and determination to live into the call that You have placed upon me and my life.  I love You, Lord.  Amen.
 
John 15:16 (preached at my ordination)
 
You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you.


Comments