The Pastor’s Porch, September 15, 2020

 

The Pastor’s Porch 

September 15, 2020

I have been thinking about David lately. You know who I mean, right? King David in the Bible. He was one interesting man. His moods swung from such joy that he couldn’t help dancing and praising and playing his harp, to writing many lament psalms. He went from being incredibly faithful to God to being unfaithful with Bathsheba. In the end, he was called “a man after God’s  own heart.”  David has always been one to whom I could turn when I am not at my best. When I am down he has a Psalm for me. When I am angry or frustrated, he has yet another one. When I feel like a failure I can read about when he totally let himself and God down. When I am afraid then I can read the beloved words of Psalm 23 and be reassured. And of course, on a good day, I can read his psalms of praise. You too can turn to David’s psalms and story. He is open and transparent; what a gift he is to all of us! May you find a psalm today to match your mood and to remember that it’s okay to be real with God. Blessings on your day, my friend.

Lord God, thank You for your son, David. Thank You for the gift of his words and his story. Please help me to also be one after Your own heart. Amen.

Acts 13:22-23

After removing Saul,he made David their king. God testified concerning him: ‘I have found David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart; he will do everything I want him to do.’ “From this man’s descendants God has brought to Israel the Savior Jesus, as he promised.

Comments