The Pastor’s Porch, September 14, 2020

 

The Pastor’s Porch 
September 14, 2020

Good Monday morning, friend. I pray that you had a good weekend. I spent Sunday cleaning out some drawers and came upon some lovely encouragement cards written by people in my former church in Washington. Many of them touched me deeply and brought back memories of ways that God used me in people’s lives. I was so glad that I kept them all these years. You might find it interesting that this time I threw most of them away. Don’t get me wrong- I read each card and letter taking the time to remember, and each memory was a gift to me. So why throw them away? Well, it occurred to me that God does not call me to live in the past but rather in the future. Yes I was able to make a difference in people’s lives years ago, but I sense God saying, “Yes, but what have you done for Me lately?”  The whole experience sent me into deep contemplation as I realized that only by actively continuing to engage ministry will I grow closer to Jesus and be worthy of the gifts that He has given me to use. Why not spend some time today going down memory lane and remembering what it is to do vital ministry and then recommitting to keep doing so now? I have lots more drawers to go through and I am excited to see how God awakens new/old dreams for serving Him!

Lord, please bring to mind times that I have truly made a difference for You. Inspired me to do new things in this time in which we live. Thank You for gifting me, for loving me, and for giving me the privilege to serve You. In Jesus’ name I pray, amen.

Psalm 143:5

I remember the days of long ago; I meditate on all your works and consider what your hands have done.



Comments