The Pastor's Porch, September 11, 2020

 

The Pastor's Porch
September 11, 2020

Ah yes, 9/11.  The last time our world turned upside down.  I remember the day well.  My ex-husband always had the news on in the morning, and so we were watching.  The first plane had already hit, and we watched in horror as the second plane exploded, and the towers fell.  I was not yet a pastor then, but was an elementary music teacher.  What a surreal day that was at work!  The children knew that something terrible had happened, but the youngest only understood that all of the adults around them were in shock.  Older students tried to make sense of it as best they could.  Not much teaching happened that day.  I felt so helpless because I wasn't allowed to share with them the hope I had in Jesus.  Many churches were filled to capacity the Sunday following that day, as people reached out to God for protection and answers.  We have seen some of that now as well.  In the months following 9/11, it felt like we would never get back to normalcy, but mostly we did.  Except for increased airport security and a gorgeous and powerful memorial at Ground Zero in NYC, in many ways you would never know that such a tragedy occurred.  As I reflect today I wonder what our own new normal will be following this terrible year.  A pandemic, racial unrest, political division, wildfires unlike any we have ever seen, economic collapse...the list goes on.  All I know is this- just like on 9/11 my only hope is Jesus.  May you too lean on Him today and in the days to come.

Lord Jesus, thank You for being with victims, first responders, grieving families, the citizens of NYC and all those scarred by 9/11.  Thank You also for promising to always be here for me, no matter how much chaos surrounds me.  All of my hope rests only in You.  Amen.

Deuteronomy 31:6

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”
 
 
 


Comments