The Pastor’s Porch, Sept. 9, 2020

 

The Pastor’s Porch, Sept. 9, 2020

Good morning, friends. It has been a while. For the next couple of days I would like to share some things that I learned, or maybe relearned, while I was on vacation. Today I want to reflect upon the addiction of busyness. You see, I have gotten into a pattern of not only working too many hours, but not being able to turn my work brain off, even when I stop. I have to be DOING. Of course that leaves no or little room for God. Last week I made sure that I didn’t work at all. I closed my computer, put it away, and every time I thought about work related things, I put it out of my mind. I refuse to make a to do list for the days that I was on vacation, and instead just did whatever came to mind each moment. Sometimes I am driven by my to do list. When I check something off, I feel worthy. But last week, I sat on my porch a lot, no work going on, no agenda, and just rested. It was harder than it sounds. However now I truly am refreshed and ready to do what God has for me. I learned again that rest truly is a gift from God. After all He is the one who gave us Sabbath. May you too find it in your days. 

Lord Jesus, thank You for reminding us that it doesn’t take doing to please You. You long for us to rest and to simply be with You. Help us to do just that. Amen.

John 4:13-14

Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”





Comments