The Pastor’s Porch, August 25, 2020

 

The Pastor’s Porch 
August 25, 2020

Did you think of five good things that couldn’t have happened without COVID-19? Let me share just one of mine today. Yesterday I commented that my son and his wife have been with me for quite a while. Noor was already here when the lockdown came. Andrew, however, was not scheduled to come until the end of spring or in the summer. Instead, because the US recalled all Americans living abroad, he arrived in late March. I was given the gift of five months with him. We planted the garden together, spent hours on the porch, played tons of Scrabble, watched TV together, cooked for each other, and most importantly, we talked about almost everything for countless hours. It occurred to me one day a while back that Andrew really knows me. He knows my worries, my frustrations, my hopes and my dreams. What a gift that is! It’s not that my other sons care less than he does; it is simply the concentrated time that Andrew and I have spent together. I thank God for that. Have you also experienced growth in your relationship with someone during this time? Maybe it is not too late. After all this virus isn’t even close to being gone yet. I encourage you to choose someone with whom you can talk, whether in person, on the phone or on video chat, and take advantage of the opportunity to go deeper.

Lord Jesus, thank You for the opportunity that we have in these slower-paced days to spend time growing closer together. In the relationships that I have, please help me to reconcile with those with whom I struggle, and to go deeper with the ones whom You choose. Amen.

John 15:13

Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.


Comments