The Pastor’s Porch, August 17, 2020

 

The Pastor’s Porch 
August 17, 2020

I am thinking about trust this morning. My daughter-in-law is working as an enumerator for the U.S. Census right now. Yesterday she came home really discouraged because she was rejected so many times. Now mind you, she has been extremely successful up until yesterday, sometimes doubling the number of responses that has been set as a goal. Yesterday was different though. Many folks didn’t answer the door though she could hear people talking inside. Most who did were extremely rude to her, declaring that they were certain that she was a scammer. Yes, she met the daily goal, but she came home pretty upset. 
It occurs to me that many if not most of us are experiencing a loss of trust. I think of going to the grocery store. People look at me with fear in their eyes, and I probably do the same to them. What if they are sick? What if the product I touch has been contaminated? Now I am not paranoid, but these things do pass through my mind sometimes. So how do we, as followers of Christ, bring encouragement right now? I guess I keep remembering the saying, “the eyes are the window to the soul.” Even though I wear a mask, my eyes are still visible! I need to make sure that my soul reflects the unconditional love of Jesus, and that that love is visible through my eyes. I also need to trust Jesus, that He holds me in His hands, and not to worry too much about what is happening around me.
My daughter-in-law and I had a long talk about this last night, and she is ready to face today with new purpose. I too am strengthened, and pray that you are as well.

Lord, please fill me with Your love and Your confidence. Help me to focus on sharing that love with the others I encounter this day. Amen.

Proverbs 3:5-6

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.


Comments