The Pastor's Porch, Aug. 4, 2020


The Pastor's Porch
Aug. 4, 2020

Ah, day two of our experience with this biblical story. Here we go:  I am watching my neighbor doing something crazy.  He is not doing his yard work or anything worthwhile as far as I can tell.  When I ask him about his project, he talks nonsense.  Doesn't he know that things will always be as they are?  Yes, we make bad choices, so what?  So does everyone else...well, except my neighbor.  He is one of those goody-two-shoes who follows all of the rules. What a waste!  Doesn't he know that it's all about carpe diem? You know, "seize the day"?  I just don't understand why he is so obsessed with what he is building.  You'd think that he is under some deadline.  He should chill and relax.  Well, whatever.  I am going to get a cool beverage and go enjoy the sunshine.  Want to join me?

Oh Lord, how do we miss what You are doing every single day?  Sometimes we get so distracted by what the world offers and are tempted to ignore You altogether.  Help us to see You clearly today and to please You in all that we do and say.  Amen.

Ecc. 2:10-11:  10 I denied myself nothing my eyes desired;
    I refused my heart no pleasure.
My heart took delight in all my labor,
    and this was the reward for all my toil.
11 Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done
    and what I had toiled to achieve,
everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
    nothing was gained under the sun.

Comments