The Pastor's Porch, Aug. 3, 2020


The Pastor's Porch
Aug. 3, 2020

Hello, friend.  Today begins not only a new week, but is the first Monday of a new month.  What will August bring us?  In this unsettled year, who knows?  I have been reflecting a lot on a very familiar Bible story.  This week will be spent sharing those thoughts with you.  I won't tell you what the story is until Friday, though you may figure it out long before that.  I will put myself into different players in the story to gain perspective on the whole of God's message to us.  Here we go:

I look around and all is chaos.  There is so much violence and people are far from living lives connected to God.  Instead they are fighting one another, arguing, lying, cheating on spouses and basically doing whatever they want without regard for right and wrong.  I am trying to do my best, but it is hard.  Where is God in the midst of this?  Does He care at all?  I do feel His presence with me.  I know that He loves me.  Perhaps all that I can do today is to listen for His voice and to live the way that I know that He wants.  I do trust Him.  Though things look impossible, He's going to do something.  I have no idea what, but He is definitely going to do something!

Lord Jesus, help us to know that though times are really unsettling, though we ourselves may be dealing with illness, loss, family problems, work problems or whatever struggle we have, we know that You are here in the midst of it all, working everything to Your good purpose.  Thank You for that reassurance. In Your name we pray, amen.

2 Tim. 3:2-4:  People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— having a form of godliness but denying its power.

Comments