The Pastor’s Porch, July 7, 2020


The Pastor’s Porch 
July 7, 2020

Wouldn’t it be fun to be a housecat? I have one, and she sets a great example for me. She is a Bengal, and of course is intense in everything that she does. What do I learn from her? Well first of all that life is short, so eat dessert first. Every morning when I get my first cup of coffee, she meows until she gets a few treats. Only then will she eat her breakfast. Next she lets me know how important playtime is in her day. She plays fetch with her little ball, and often when I am working, she brings the ball in her mouth, sits down next to me and meows until I throw it. If I ignore her, she will climb up my chair and drop it from the top into my lap. She is only satisfied when I take a break and play with her a while. Finally she teaches me to rest and be content. Right now she is curled up next to me, purring. Perhaps though I can’t be a cat, I can practice some of her lessons. Enjoy treats—even non-edible ones, play some each day, and take time to rest, relaxing in the knowledge that I am loved and important. We are loved, you know. Jesus loves each one of us and delights in blessing us. May we all feel that love today. Lord Jesus, thank You for creatures who teach us about You and how to find delight even in hard times. Amen.


Psalm 37:4: Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.




Comments