The Pastor's Porch, July 20, 2020


The Pastor's Porch
July 20, 2020

Happy Monday to you!  Today the temperature will feel like it is over 100 degrees!  Praise God for fans and air conditioning.  This morning I am reflecting upon a training that I "attended" over Zoom last Friday.  It was the annual event that Covenant ministers are required to attend, and was titled "Reimagine." Mostly the topic concerned the Covenant position to be committed to being anti-racist. In other words, it is not enough to be a person without racist views; we must seek social justice for all who experience racism.  In the training I learned much about the Christian church's significant historic role in promoting racism.  Not a comfortable topic to be sure.  So now I am sitting and thinking about what God calls me to do in response.  My New England church is in an almost white community, and the congregation welcomes anyone, no matter their race or socioeconomic situation.  It is one of the things that I love most about them.  Yet, we are called to more than that.  I am not sure what that means for me in my pastoral role yet, but I do know that it is time for some deep introspection.  One of the challenges from the training came from Psalm 139, where a very bold prayer is stated: "Search me, God..see if there is any offensive  way in me."  Do I dare pray that prayer?  Yes, I must, and I encourage you to do the same.  The other challenge that I feel compelled to take also comes from Scripture.  "Take every thought captive to be obedient to Christ." (2 Cor. 10:5) Maybe we don't have a diverse community, but we are all exposed to people of color on TV and online.  What are my thoughts when I am watching?  I am not sure, but I want to learn to pay attention.  Might you try it as well?  I truly want to learn to love my "neighbor" with a clean heart.  It will be interesting to take this journey of self-exploration. 
Lord, okay I will do it.  I will ask for Your inspection of my heart and thoughts.  Please help me to become aware of anything that comes from hate or fear, not from love.  Please send Your Spirit to fill me with Your love.  In Jesus' name, amen.

Psalm 139:23 Search me, God, and know my heart;
    test me and know my anxious thoughts.
24 See if there is any offensive way in me,
    and lead me in the way everlasting.

Comments